Friday, June 16, 2006

On Creative Nonfiction

Kimberly Culbertson, the Editor-in-chief at Relief Journal, has posted my ideas on what defines Creative Nonfiction. Here is a taste to whet your appetite:

Unfortunately, most people, even many writers, are clueless about what this new genre is, what it isn’t, and how to write it. You see, adding that word creative to the generic word nonfiction changes everything. Sifting through the many submissions in this category here at Relief Journal, it is clear that the misconceptions are rampant. I’ll leave the how to write question to others but, for this moment, I’d like to slice away those misconceptions and define the term.

Remember, submissions deadline is August 1 for the November print issue. I hope to see your piece in my editor's box for review.

No comments: